First of all, you may need to upgrade the site to latest EPiServer CMS version.
Upgrading add-ons from Visual Studio
This option is available starting from EPiServer 8.
- Make sure installationMode is set to Code: <episerver.packaging installationMode="Code">
- If the installationMode was set to UI you need to run the cmdlet Convert-EPiAddons in the Package Manager Console, it will convert any existing add-ons installed via UI to Visual Studio format.
- This step is required when upgrading website to EPiServer 8 and Disqus comments 1.2.0: remove Duk.EPiServer.Disqus.* assemblies in /bin and /modulesbin directories. Remove /modules/Duk.EPiServer.Disqus and /modules/_protected/Duk.EPiServer.Disqus.UI folders.
- Make sure http://nuget.episerver.com/feed/packages.svc/ is added as a NuGet source in Visual Studio.
- Install/update Disqus comments packages via Visual Studio. Overwrite all existing files in Disqus add-on folders if asked.
Upgrading add-ons from the user interface
- Make sure installationMode is set to UI: <episerver.packaging installationMode="UI">
- To install add-on packages, the user needs to be a member of the PackagingAdmins user group, and must have access to the EPiServer UI.
- Navigate to Add-ons in global navigation menu and update Disqus comments add-ons in Updates section.
When updating EPiSever Framework/CMS to new major version
You may need to disable Disqus add-ons in the UI before updating EPiServer Framework/CMS NuGet packages to new major version.
- Navigate to Add-ons in global navigation menu and disable Disqus comments add-ons in Installed section.
- Proceed with updating required EPiServer core NuGet packages like EPiServer.Framework, EPiServer.Cms.Core and so on in Visual Studio, update database, rebuild the site project etc.
- Navigate to Add-ons in global navigation menu and install updates for disabled Disqus comments add-ons, restart the site.